|In the near future, we intend to re-introduce legislation (Senate Bill 178 of 2017-18) that will amend Title 37 (Historical & Museums) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes. This legislation has several key provisions to update and modernize the History Code.
These key provisions include:
Please join us in co-sponsoring this important piece of legislation. If you have any questions regarding this legislation, please contact Christine Zubeck at 717-787-6123 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your consideration.
- Adding definitions for Archival Records, the State Archives and State Archivist.
- Removing language on the operation of the Conservation Center which the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (PHMC) no longer operates.
- Modernizing the sale and disposition of property as well as adding language on abandoned property on loan to the PHMC.
- Including language that the State Archives shall be the official repository for the permanent and historically valuable public records of the Commonwealth.
- Adding a new section on the protection and recovery of historical Commonwealth and local government records.
- Opening access to older public records after 75 years, unless specifically prohibited by law.
- Removing from Title 37 certain historical properties that the PHMC either has transferred or sold to other entities.