|As protective measures are implemented statewide to protect our constituents from Covid-19 we must also act to protect them from economic fallout as a result of this crisis.
Hopefully, congress will soon pass relief legislation, but the proposed Families First Coronavirus Response Act leaves several holes which my legislation will fill, including the following provisions:
- Emergency paid sick leave for all employees not covered by the federal bill.
- Extending paid sick leave for an additional 4 days to cover the full two-week quarantine period as the federal bill only covers 10 days.
- Paid leave will be extended to those laid off or who’s workplaces have closed.
- The state will cover the additional 1/3 pay rate for those who must take leave to care for a child whose school has closed so employees receive 100% of pay.
- Extend family medical leave to all employees at 100% wage rate starting immediately upon starting leave to cover the unpaid time under the federal bill and then the additional 1/3 pay to fill the gap for 100% pay rate though the term covered by the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Requiring employers to reinstate workers returning from leave.