|In the near future, I plan to re-introduce House Bill 492 of last session that would repeal outdated provisions of the Public School Code of 1949.
As you surely know, Pennsylvania school districts are currently saddled with a multitude of statutory mandates, a great number of which are codified in the Public School Code of 1949. A number of these provisions were enacted into law when the act was originally approved in 1949 and are no longer necessary or relevant. Others, enacted in subsequent amendments to the Public School Code, are likewise antiquated or have been superseded by subsequent changes to the law. My legislation proposes to target and repeal a significant number of these provisions in order to ease the burden of such outdated mandates on our school districts, without drastically altering education policy.
Specifically, my legislation will repeal the following sections, in whole or in part:
- Section 112. Report of Racial and Ethnic Groupings.
- Section 113. Study of Public Schools that Provide Internet Instruction.
- Section 212. Corporate Seal.
- Section 292. Submission of Plans.
- Section 293. Approval of the Plans.
- Section 294. Disapproval of Plans.
- Section 295. Department of Public Instruction to Prepare Plans.
- Section 296. Establishment of Reorganized School Districts.
- Section 297. Advance Establishment.
- Section 510.1. Special School Watchmen-School Districts in Townships of the Second Class.
- Section 519. Copies of School Laws.
- Section 523 (a). Educational Broadcasting.
- Section 705. Residences for Teachers and Janitors.
- Section 736. Heating Stoves to be Shielded.
- Section 737. Ventilation; Thermometer.
- Section 738. Fireproof Construction.
- Section 739. Doors to Open Outward; Fire Escapes; etc.
- Section 760. Completion of Abandoned WPA Projects, Districts Third and Fourth Class.
- Section 772. Condition of Grounds; Shade Trees.
- Section 1208. Summer Schools, etc.
- Section 1317.1. Possession of Telephone Pagers Prohibited.
- Section 1337 (f). Nonprofit School Food Program – Studies, Appraisals and Reports to Governor.
- Section 1338.2. Antitruancy Programs.
- Section 1378. Medical Care for Children Under Six with Defective Hearing.
- Section 1308-A. Report.
- Section 1414. Care and Treatment of Pupils.
- Section 1422.1. Local Wellness Policy.
- Section 1517 (d). Fire and Emergency Evacuation Drills. (in part)
- Section 1522. Foreign Language Academies.
- Section 1534. Monthly Reports to School Directors; Districts Second, Third and Fourth Class.
- Section 1547 (h). Alcohol, Chemical and Tobacco Abuse Program.
- Article XV-B. Read to Succeed Program.
- Section 1503-E (10). Department Duties and Powers.
- Section 1803. Duties of State Board for Vocational Education; Reports. (in part)
- Section 1804. Schools or Classes; Supervisors; Principals; Instructors, etc.
- Section 1811. Estimate of Expenses and Reimbursements; Appropriations.
- Section 1923. Teachers of Evening Schools.
I hope you will join me in making these important updates to the Public School Code.