|Posted:||January 7, 2015 01:43 PM|
|From:||Senator Vincent J. Hughes and Sen. Lawrence M. Farnese, Jr.|
|To:||All Senate members|
|Subject:||Uniform Firearms Act – Concealed Carry Permits/Firearms Safety Course|
|In the near future we plan to reintroduce SB 664 of the 2013-14 session. This legislation amends the Uniform Firearms Act to require an individual to complete a firearms safety or training course as a condition of being issued a Concealed Carry Permit. Our legislation is based on a similar requirement in the State of Florida. Acceptable courses would be any of the following:
• Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Pennsylvania Game Commission or a similar agency of another state;
• Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
• Any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, educational institution, private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Commission, or the Pennsylvania State Police;
• Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for law enforcement or security enforcement personnel;
• Evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service; or
• Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor.
Please join us in sponsoring this legislation. If you have any questions, please contact Mark Mekilo at 7-7112 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Sally Keaveney at 7-5662 or email@example.com.
Introduced as SB311