Legislation Quick Search
10/27/2021 12:21 AM
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20210&cosponId=35179
Share:
Home / House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

Subscribe to PaLegis Notifications
NEW!

Subscribe to receive notifications of new Co-Sponsorship Memos circulated

By Member | By Date | Keyword Search


House of Representatives
Session of 2021 - 2022 Regular Session

MEMORANDUM

Posted: March 24, 2021 01:33 PM
From: Representative Aaron D. Kaufer
To: All House members
Subject: 'Last-Man In' Fix to Spur New Economic Development
 
In the near future, I intend to re-introduce legislation to spur economic growth and improve the state of our infrastructure by addressing an unfair practice currently being forced upon developers within Pennsylvania. The issue is commonly referred to as ‘Fair-Share’ or ‘Last-Man In,’ and typically arises when a new development, or a new commercial facility, is the last to be built along a state road. While PennDOT may have neglected to upgrade the road, intersections, or berms for years, prospective developers are the ones who are left on the hook, sometimes for tens of millions of dollars, to upgrade the neglected state-owned infrastructure around them. This unfortunately results in missed opportunities for countless infrastructure improvements and projects that would otherwise inject significant investments in local communities across Pennsylvania.

While developers should be held responsible for making the infrastructure improvements that arise as a result of their proposals, they should not be left footing the entire bill for long overdue improvements to state-owned roadways. Therefore, I am calling for a ‘Proportional Fair-Share’ that will make the developer, or puller of the building permit, responsible for 20% of the  cost of the infrastructure improvement, with the remaining 80% taken care of by PennDOT.

These existing unfair financial obligations continue to impose massive, unnecessary barriers to developers who could be generating significant economic development opportunities throughout the Commonwealth and benefitting our local communities. Given the unprecedented challenges that have arisen and affected every Pennsylvanian over the past twelve months, it is more important now than ever that we, as elected officials, take the necessary steps to provide economic development and growth opportunities for the hardworking residents that call the Commonwealth home, now and into the future.

I respectfully ask for your support of this important piece of legislation.
 



Introduced as HB1177