|In the near future, I plan on re-introducing legislation that will create the Office of the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) of the Commonwealth. Registered Nurses are the largest licensed professionals in Pennsylvania and play an integral role in shaping the healthcare environment, yet lack adequate representation in policy-related decision-making in state government.
As a result, my legislation establishes the CNO of the Commonwealth and models the position based on the roles and confirmation process of the Physician General, and will have the following duties:
It is imperative that the General Assembly and Governor include Registered Nurses and other members of the health delivery team in healthcare-related decisions. Please join me in co-sponsoring this important legislation.
- Advise the Governor and Secretary of Health;
- Participate in the decision-making process of the Department of Health (DOH) on policies related to nursing and public health-related issues;
- Review professional standards and practices in nursing and public health;
- Consult with recognized experts on nursing and public health matters which are within the jurisdiction of DOH;
- Provide advice on nursing and public health issues to the secretary and to other executive branch agencies;
- Coordinate educational, informational and other programs for the promotion of wellness, public health and related nursing issues in PA;
- Consult with experts in PA and other states on programs and issues important to PA; and
- Serve as a voting member of the State Board of Nursing.