Legislation Quick Search
03/01/2024 11:12 PM
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Home / House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

Subscribe to PaLegis Notifications

Subscribe to receive notifications of new Co-Sponsorship Memos circulated

By Member | By Date | Keyword Search

House of Representatives
Session of 2017 - 2018 Regular Session


Posted: January 11, 2017 12:43 PM
From: Representative Donna Bullock and Rep. Stephen Kinsey, Rep. Joanna E. McClinton
To: All House members
Subject: Co-Sponsorship Request -- Transferring Non-Renewed Liquor Licenses
In the near future, we plan to introduce legislation that would provide members of a community with the opportunity they need to have a say in the transfer of liquor licenses that have not been renewed.

If the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board finds that a current liquor licensee has been issued multiple violations or has been a nuisance, the PLCB may deny that licensee’s renewal application, and may permit or require the licensee to sell its license. However, under current law, if such a licensee chooses to transfer the license to new ownership at the same location, the PLCB may only consider the reputation of the new owner when deciding whether to approve the transfer. Our legislation holds the transfer of non-renewed licenses to the same standard as double transfers, which forces the Board to reconsider the license’s proximity to organizations like schools, playgrounds and churches, as well as the effect of the license on the welfare, health, peace and morals of the surrounding community. Additionally, our legislation extends the public notice period for the transfer of non-renewed licenses from thirty to forty-five days. This gives the members of the surrounding community the chance to have their say as the PLCB considers continuing to license a location that, in many cases, was the subject of previous complaints and violations.

Finally, our legislation requires the PLCB to notify state and local elected officials when it receives an application from within their district. This helps keep officials informed of issues that could affect their district.

Please join our in co-sponsoring this legislation. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Rep. Bullock's office at (717) 787-3480.

Introduced as HB513