Charles Craven Sullivan
The son of Charles and Susannah (Johnston) Sullivan, brother of Moses Sullivan, Charles C. Sullivan was born at the old country home, in Butler county, March 10, 1807, graduated at Jefferson College in 1828, studied law in Butler with Gen. William AYERS, was admitted to practice in 1831, and for thirty years was one of the most distinguished and successful members of the Butler bar. He served six years in the State Senate, was a recognized leader in that body in all matters of State reform, and there is a law on the statute book regarding the morality of our people, better known to lawyers as the "the Sullivan Law," which has received the unqualified approval of all good citizens. He was the leader in the movement to secure railroad communications to Butler, and was president of the North Western Railroad Company, the first organization looking to that end. Mr. SULLIVAN was a Whig in politics, and later a Republican, and a Presbyterian in religious faith. In 1846 he married a Miss SELTZER, of Lebanon county. They had five children, two sons and three daughters. Both sons were lawyers, one practicing in Pittsburgh and the other in Bradford. Mr. Sullivan died February 27, 1860.
From History of Butler County, 1895