Peleg Bahrows Savery
Senator Peleg B. Savery was the son of Peleg and Hannah (Perkins) Savery, born in Carver, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, June 7, 1805. He married, May 22, 1834, Julia Eliza, daughter of Charles and Lydia (Reno) Conklin, of Albany, N. Y., a cousin of former Senator Roscoe Conklin. Senator Savery was an iron manufacturer and dealer in iron ware, a member of the firm of Savery, Shaw & Co., of Albany, N. Y., and of Savery & Co. in Philadelphia, which he established in 1838. Peleg was the manager of the Franklin Institute, 1851-52; engaged in business in Camden, NJ, where he partnered with Abel Lukens, Jacob Sheetz, John H. Shultz, and Abraham Browning in a porcelain manufacturing operation. He was described as a “gentleman of kindly and amiable, courteous and genial disposition, possessing in a remarkable degree the elements of large personal popularity, making friends everywhere. Like his father, he was an excellent sportsman, and devoted much of his leisure to his favorite amusement.” He was a member of the Senate of Pennsylvania. He died in Philadelphia on Sept. 15, 1863.
A.W. Savery, A Genealogical and Biographical Record of the Savery Families (Boston: The Collins Press, 1893) section 23