William A Martin
HON. WILLIAM A. MARTIN, P.O. Arendtsville, an extensive lumberman of Menallen Township, was born in Franklin Township, this county, August 17, 1842, a son of William B. and Elizabeth (Logan) Martin. He was reared on the farm, and at the same time received the benefits of a good education. At the age of twenty he learned the ambrotyping business, which he followed for two years in various places, and since then has been engaged in lumbering, charcoaling and farming, and now owns some 500 or 600 acres of land. Politically he is a Democrat, and was nominated, out of thirteen candidates, in 1877, and elected by over 400 majority a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. In 1880 he was appointed enumerator for taking the United States census for Menallen Township, and at the building of the railroad through Menallen took a prominent and active part in obtaining subscriptions for its stock, and raised over $5,000 of it in Harrisburg. He also secured the right of way for the whole length of the line and probably to his labor and energy, as much as anything, may be attributed its prompt completion. He was the inspector of all the first ties used in its construction, and subscribed two shares of stock. He married, in 1870, in Menallen Township, Miss Mary, daughter of Henry Beamer, and to this union seven children were born: Harry Boyd, Minnie Alverta, Dora Alice, Elsie Natalie, Paul A. and Mary Matilda. Mr. and Mrs. Martin were members of the Lutheran Church at Arendstville. The house occupied by Mr. Martin was built by a Mr. Kelsey 119 years ago, and occupied by Mr. Martin’s great-grandfather, William Boyd, about 100 years ago. His grandfather’s deed was recorded in 1780, the fees charged being £9 6d. The great-grandfather Boyd paid £3,000 for the tract of 1,300 acres. June 14, 1886, Mr. Martin was nominated for joint senator for Adams and Cumberland Counties by the Democratic party, and, when elected, served with honor to himself and constituents.