Malachi C. Watson, son of Michael and Bridget Watson, was born in Pottsville, March 31, 1845. His parents were natives of Athlone, County Roscommon, Ireland, and emigrated in 1844, first locating in Pottsville. A year or two later the family removed to Valley Furnace, near New Philadelphia, where the father died in 1848, leaving two sons, Malachi and James. The latter, born August 29, 1846, was killed September 14, 1861, while attempting to board a moving coal train at Glen Carbon. The mother subsequently married Martin Delaney, now of Shenandoah, and soon after removed to Port Griffith, Luzerne county, but after a short residence there returned to Schuylkill county. Malachi remained with his mother until nearly eighteen years of age, then engaged with his uncle, Michael Higgins, as a boatman, and during the war was employed in transporting government supplies by boat from Philadelphia to Washington and Alexandria. After following this occupation nearly a year he returned to Schuylkill county, and in February, 1864, came to Shenandoah, then in its infancy, and was for five years engaged in mining. He was married to Nancy Monaghan, daughter of Bryan and Margaret Monaghan, of Ashland, September 30, 1867; married second, Anne Costello. In the spring of 1869 he removed to Ashland, and was in trade there six years. In 1872 he purchased a lot on Main street, in Shenandoah, and the same year built his present business block. In the spring of 1875 he returned to Shenandoah, engaged in the wholesale liquor trade and acting as agent for several large brewing establishments. He is also proprietor of one of the finest livery establishments in Schuylkill county, and carries on the saddlery and harness business. In 1876, inspired with a desire to see the birthplace of his parents, he sailed to Ireland, visited Athlone and England, returning the same year. He was a successful businessman, prompt and just in all his dealings, kind and charitable in his nature, and genial in his disposition.
He is buried in Shenandoah.