William Henry Andrews
Born in Youngsville, Warren County on January 14, 1846, Senator Andrews was the son of James and Martha (Horn) Andrews of Conneautville, Crawford County, PA. He pursued the dry-goods business in Titusville, Meadville, and Franklin; ran excursion trains in the oil region; moved to Cincinnati, establishing the city’s largest store before returning to the Pennsylvania oil fields. Andrews’ entry into the political arena occurred in 1878, as state senate campaign manager for Walter Brooks Roberts. Senator Roberts, with his brother, invented the Roberts Torpedo, literally a canister bomb loaded with nitroglycerin, used by Crawford and Venango oil drillers, and later the entire industry, to open shafts for free flow of black gold. The process revolutionized the oil industry. Roberts benefiting from a successful election, the Senator pulled strings to seat Andrews as Crawford County Republican Committee chairman. Embarking on a successful political career, Andrews was a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 1889-1890, 1901-1902; Chair of the state Republican Committee, 1889-1890; State Senator, 1895-1898; New Mexico Territorial Council, 1903-1904; U.S. Representative from New Mexico, 1905-1912. He was also an architect of the Santa Fe Railroad. Andrews was a close friend of U.S. Senators J. Donald Cameron and Matthew Quay. And at one point was considered heir-apparent to Cameron’s seat in Washington, DC. Senator Andrews died at Carlsbad, Eddy County, New Mexico January 16, 1919, interred at Woodlawn Cemetery, Titusville, Pa. He married first Caroline Sprague (1850-87); and second, Rose Anne Eddy.