James Lee Adams
Photo credit: George Thornton Fleming, Pittsburgh and Environs, (New York: American Historical Society, 1922); also: Smull's Legislative Hand Book and Manual of the State of Pennsylvania, 1910.
James L. Adams was born May 27, 1873, the son of William and Emma (Butler) Adams of Allegheny County; attended public schools, graduated in 1898 from Slippery Rock Normal School, entered Pitt Law School in 1901, and joined the bar on January 1, 1906. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1906; re-elected in November, 1908; resigned November 16, 1909 after securing a seat in the state Senate on November 2, 1909, filling the unexpired term of Hon. John W. Crawford, deceased. Adams was a member of the Pennsylvania Panama Pacific Exposition Commission, representing Pennsylvania at the Panama-Pacific Exposition, at San Francisco. He was also appointed by Governor Brumbaugh on the special commission of five to attend the dedication of the Pennsylvania State building, held March 18, 1915, at the Exposition grounds, San Francisco, and made an address at the dedication of the building. During WWI, Adams supported government relief and welfare organizations and served as a four-minute man. He married, Feb. 10, 1917, in Philadelphia, Elise N. Walton, daughter of Henry Foster and Ella (Norman) Walton. Senator Adams died in Pittsburgh, 1942.