Businessman, educator, and public servant, John Harrison was the son of Isaac and Sarah Harrison, born in Hanover Township, Lancaster (now Dauphin) County, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1775. He received a subscription education, worked on his father’s farm, and later became engaged in the iron manufacturing business. He served as county commissioner from 1807 to 1810 and in 1814 enlisted as a private in Capt. Thomas McIlhenny’s company of volunteers, seeing action during the defense of Baltimore. He was elected a member of the House of Representatives, 1821-22, and in 1823, ascended to the State Senate, serving just one year of his term. On his return from office, the Senator built an elementary school for ironworkers’ children, subsequently opening the small academy to the general public. He was brigadier-general of volunteers (Pennsylvania Militia), and hence the title of “General” John Harrison. He died at his residence in Hanover, Feb. 28, 1827, and is buried in the old graveyard there. He was married twice, first to Frances Rodgers; second, Rachel (maiden name unknown).