Born 1754 in Lewes, Delaware, Thomas Stokely was the son of John Stokely, whose parents immigrated from Stokely on Trent, Staffordshire, England. He lived briefly with his first cousin Nehimiah Stokely in a blockhouse in Hempfield Township, Washington County (now Sewickly) and married Elisabeth Mumpford. Thomas served as a private in a Ranger Company commanded by Nehimiah during the Revolution (8th Pennsylvania), rising to the rank of Captain. He was named a Justice of the Court of Common Pleas and a surveyor in Washington County; served in the state House of Representatives, 1791-1793; the state Senate, 1794-1797; served in the War of 1812; and died at his residence on Coon Island, Washington County, in 1824, having been awarded 500 acres of bounty land by Gov. Mifflin in 1800 for service in the Revolution.