Henry S Spackman
Born March 11, 1811 in Philadelphia. Dr. Spackman was the son of prominent shipping merchant Samuel Spackman; graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Law Academy, 1831; admitted to the Philadelphia bar, April 11, 1832, and pursued a political career as a Jackson Democrat. Henry was elected to state House of Representatives, 1834-1838, and emerged as a central figure in the Dec. 1838 Buckshot War; later elected to the state Senate, 1840-1844; retired from politics; studied for the Protestant Episcopal divinity; was ordained Deacon of St. Philip’s, 1846, and received a call as rector and ordained priest at St. Marks, Frankford, 1847. While serving the latter congregation, he devoted himself to the afflicted during the 1849 Philadelphia cholera epidemic. In 1853, he accepted ministerial duties as Assistant Priest of St. Matthews under eminent Episcopal clergyman, the Rev. Dr. George Emlen Hare, serving to 1856. In the same year, he became the first rector of St. Clements Church, while under construction, serving from 1856 through 1863. On November 15, 1862, the Rev. Spackman accepted an appointment as Philadelphia Hospital Chaplain, United States Army, mustering out in 1865. In 1866, Henry became the first priest of Holy Trinity Episcopal, Williamsport, Pa. for nearly three years, Jan. 1866-Sept. 1868, responsible for the oversight of church construction. The vestry held him in “high regard as a Minister of the Gospel” and “a faithful laborer in the vineyard of his Master.” Spackman returned to Philadelphia, assuming duties as Chaplain of the Episcopal Hospital, where he died on Feb. 9, 1875.
Portrait and Bio: The Rev. J. Wesley Twelves, D.D., A History of the Diocese of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Diocese of Pa., 1969), p. 174; also: St. Clements Home Page.; also: Minutes of the Holy Trinity Vestry, Sept. 21, 1868, Courtesy, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Williamsport, Pa.