Born in Philadelphia, March 4, 1765. "His early education was under the care of his father, in Philadelphia, and subsequently at Washington College, Maryland, where he graduated at the commencement held on the 14th day of May 1783, delivering the valedictory oration on that occasion." He studied law with his eldest brother, William Moore Smith, at Easton, Northampton Co., Pa., and was admitted to the bar in Philadelphia in June, 1786. He pursued the practice of his profession for several years at Sunbury, Northumberland Co., Pa. He was a delegate to the Convention which formed the Constitution of Pennsylvania in 1790, a Member of the House of Representatives of the State in 1806, 1807, and 1808, and State Senator in 1816. 1n 1805 he was elected a Member of the American Philosophical Society. He supplied copious and valuable notes to a new edition of the Laws of Pennsylvania, published, by authority of the Legislature, at Philadelphia, in 1810-12. 1n 1819 he received the honorary degree of LL.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. March 27, of the same year, he was appointed President Judge for the Ninth Judicial District of Pennsylvania, composed of the counties of Cumberland, Franklin, and Adams; and April 28, 1820, he was commissioned President Judge of the District Court of the City and County of Lancaster, which office he held for several years, living at a residence built by him near that town, named "Hardwicke." He afterwards moved, with his family, to Baltimore, Md., and finally returned to Philadelphia, where he died, at his home, No. 12 Clinton Square, March 18, 1836, and was buried in Epiphany (Protestant Episcopal) Churchyard. Mrs. Smith died at Belmont, August 27, of the same year.