George Sanderson was born in Boston, February 25th, 1810, received his education at the Boston Latin School; pursued merchandising in New York City; and moved to Geneva, NY, where he married Marion Kingsbury of Sheshequin, Bradford County, PA. Sanderson relocated in Towanda, Bradford Co., where he read and practiced law, became District Attorney for six years, and resigned to pursue private business. He was elected to the State Senate, befriending Col. George W Scranton in 1853, who introduced Sanderson to the idealistic city of Scranton and Lackawanna County, Sanderson thereby becoming one of the founders, moving to the Hitchcock farm in 1855. He moved back to Towanda, however, embarking on a banking and finance career, through George Sanderson & Co., and later merged with the Lackawanna Valley Savings Bank, evolving as the Lackawanna Trust and Safe Deposit Company. He became a major force in the development of Towanda, donating a significant amount of personal land to schools and general improvements. He was elected mayor, eventually building a home in Germantown. The senator came out of retirement purchasing and becoming president of a coal company, the operation sold to Reading Coal Co. He moved back to Scranton, having purchased a large tract of land in the northern outskirts, where he erected a mansion and developed a considerable portion of modern Scranton, including the construction of the Green Ridge and Providence Street Railroad. Mr. Sanderson died in April 1886, followed very shortly by his wife.
A Half Century in Scranton, Benjamin Henry Throop