Major General John Piper was born on December 30, 1729, the son of James Piper of Kilmore, Northern Island. An early settler of Big Spring, Cumberland County, John was commissioned a lieutenant in the Pennsylvania regiment, June 1765, having risen from the enlisted ranks under the command of Col. John Armstrong during the Kittanning Campaign of 1756. He moved to Bedford County, Piper’s Run, before 1771. During the Revolution, he served as a lieutenant-colonel of the Bedford County Militia, actively engaged in protecting the frontier settlements from Indian attacks; in most cases, using his stone block house, Piper’s Fort, as a gathering place for settlers. In 1800, he was appointed major-general of militia; was justice of the peace in Bedford County, 1773; a member of the Provincial Convention at Carpenter's Hall, Philadelphia, 1776; a member of the General Assembly (old unicameral) of Pennsylvania, 1785-1789; a member of the Pennsylvania Constitutional Convention of 1790; member of the Pennsylvania Senate, 1801 to 1805, and Major General in the Pennsylvania Militia from 1801 until the time of his death at Bedford County, age 93, on January 31, 1816. The Senator married Elizabeth Catherine Lusk.
History of Bedford Co. 1887 pp 346