DANIEL MONTGOMERY, brother of Gen. William Montgomery, came with his brother from
Chester county and for a long time lived in an old frame house on Water street, Danville, where Philip Benzbach now lives. He was a painter and said to be a very good one. GEN. DANIEL MONTGOMERY was the third son of the above Gen. William Montgomery, and was fifteen years old when his father brought his family to Danville to reside. When only twenty-five years of age, under the guidance and assistance of his father, Daniel Montgomery opened the first store in Danville. Soon he was the trusted merchant and factor of a wide circle of patrons. This first store building was where the ''Montour House" now stands. On Nov. 27, 1791, Daniel Montgomery married Miss Christiana Strawbridge. The next year he laid out the town of Danville — the part east of Mill street. The new town received its baptismal name from the abbreviation of his Christian name, through the partiality of his customers. From this time until his death he was the most prominent man in this part of the State. Elected to the Legislature in 1800, he at once took his father's place as a trusted leader in the public enterprises and politics of his district. By leading men throughout the State he was recognized as a man of great influence in wisely shaping public affairs. During his active political life of many years he carried on his extensive mercantile establishment, purchased and owned large tracts of land. In 1805 he was lieutenant-colonel in the 81st Pennsylvania Militia. He was appointed major-general of the 9th Division July 27, 1809. He was the chief promoter in the building of turnpike roads in this portion of the State. Elected to Congress in 1807 as a Democrat, he served out his term ably and acceptably and declined a reelection. He worked efficiently for the division of Northumberland county and the erection of Columbia and Union counties; Danville was made the county seat of Columbia county, and the father and son donated the land for the county buildings, and contributed largely in money towards their erection. In 1823, though strongly urged by prominent men all over the State, he declined to stand for the office of governor. In 1828 he was appointed one of the canal commissioners, and it was while he was in this office that the great internal State improvements were inaugurated — among others the North Branch canal was located and well advanced towards completion. He was a large stockholder and a strong promoter of the Danville Bridge Company, completing the bridge in 1829. He originated the project of the Danville & Pottsville railroad and was first president of the company.