William Edward Miller
Captain Miller, born Feb. 5, 1836, West Hill, Cumberland County, was the son of former state Senator Andrew G. and Eleanor (Umberger) Miller; enlisted as a private, Co. H, 60th Regt. PVI, 3rd Pa. Cavalry, promoted 2d Lt. at organization. During the winter of 1861-1862, he trained at Ft. Marcy under Col. W.W. Averill; deployed to the Peninsula Campaign; Battle of Yorktown; Ft. Magruder (Williamsburg); Chickahominy; Malvern Hill; Richmond; led Co. H during Hooker’s advance over Antietam Creek, drawing the first enemy fire of the bloodiest day in U.S. history, Sept. 17, 1862, earning a commendation for “distinguished bravery” and promotion to Captain. In 1863, he participated in battles at Brandy Station, Aldie, Middleburg, Upperville, Haymarket, and Gettysburg. At Gettysburg, he ignored orders, commandeered a squadron of four companies for a seemingly fool-hearty charge that ultimately broke the flank of Confederate Generals Hampton and Fitzhugh Lee; officially: “Without orders, led a charge of his squadron upon the flank of the enemy, checked his attack, and cut off and dispersed the rear of his column.” For his action, he received the Congressional Medal of Honor, July 21, 1897. After the war, he pursued mercantile interests; chaired the Cumberland County Democratic Committee, 1877-1878; was Chief Burgess of Carlisle, 1882-1883; served on the Carlisle Board of Health, twelve years; elected president of the Board, 1894; Democrat to the state Senate, 1899-1902; Democratic Caucus candidate for President pro tempore, 1901; and member of the GAR and Loyal Legion. Senator Miller passed away on December 10, 1919, interred at Gettysburg National Cemetery. He married first, Elizabeth Anne Hocker, died 1859; and second, Annie Dupuis Bush.