Son of potter Andrew Miller.
Abraham Miller was one of the most progressive American potters of his day and a man of more than ordinary intelligence and ability, and at one time represented his district in the State Senate, where he was the courageous advocate of numerous reform measures. He was one of the most prominent members of the Franklin Institute for many years, and was frequently selected as one of the judges for the awarding of premiums at the annual exhibitions. It will thus be seen that Mr. Miller was probably the first in this country to make the lustred or silvered ware which had become celebrated in England. He was also one of the first on this side of the Atlantic to experiment in making porcelain, in which he was remarkably successful, but for some reason he never produced it for the market. His standard or staple productions were red, yellow, Rockingham, and a limited quantity of white ware. He was well versed in the constitution and peculiarities of clays, and at one time made, for his own gratification, some figures with lace-work drapery, which he produced by employing real lace, which he carefully covered with after being burned away in the kiln, left the clay form as perfect in texture as the original. He made a Tam O'Shanter mug in Rockingham which was very popular at one time, large numbers of them being produced about 1840. Mr. Miller procured much of the machinery and many of the moulds of the Tucker and Hemphill factory when the latter was closed in 1838. He died about 1858 and the business was continued by his foreman, MR. CHARLES J. BOULTER, who was at one time connected with the Tucker and Hemphill China Manufactory in Philadelphia, where he remained until the works were closed. Subsequently he became connected with Mr. Abraham Miller at Zane and Seventh streets in the capacity of foreman, and when this pottery was moved to James Street near Broad, in 1840, he became superintendent of the new establishment. After Mr. Miller's death Mr. Boulter carried on the business for many years, manufacturing watch-makers' supplies, dentists', assayers', and cupellers' portable furnaces, muffles, slides, tiles, and fire-bricks. He subsequently moved the works to 1617-1627 North Street, and when he died, on March 2, 1872, the business passed into the hands of his daughters, two of whom, Misses E. A. and A. L. Boulter, still carry it on.