Early settler of Williamsport, born in Cumberland County, February 6, 1772; little known of his ancestry. Received “rudimentary” education and later graduated from Dickinson College. Robert studied law in Carlisle before moving to Williamsport at the organization of Lycoming County (1795); married Mary Hepburn, the daughter of Judge William Hepburn, and was one of the first two attorneys to reside fulltime in the town. Additionally, McClure was a successful merchant owning two log buildings, a stone building, a distillery, and a landing dock on the Susquehanna River known by “river men” as “William’s Port:” hence, Williamsport. According to accounts of the period, McClure was “a tall, heavy man, with broad ruddy face and a countenance indicative of firmness and severe thought. His movements were slow and easy.” McClure was elected to the state House of Representatives, 1822 and 1824, and to the state Senate, 1827-1829, passing away on December 13, 1829, while seated. He was originally interred in Williamsport’s “old burying ground” on West Fourth Street, eventually reinterred in an unknown cemetery.
Marshall Anspach, Historical Sketches of the Bench and Bar of Lycoming County, 1795-1989 Muncy, Pennsylvania: Three Towns Press, Inc.,