JUDGE FRANCIS McCLURE, grandfather of MRS. MARY ANN (McCLURE) RANKIN, was born in county Down, Ireland, in 1742, and died in 1845, at the advanced age of one hundred and three years. He received an excellent education, and emigrated to America about 1770, settling in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. He then removed to Wheeling, Virginia, where he served as postmaster several years, and about the year 1788 came to Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where he took up about five hundred acres of land in “Buttermilk Hollow,” in Mifflin township. There he built a stone house which was in use many years but is now gone. He became associate judge in Allegheny county, and was a man of great influence in his day. He was possessed of a considerate fortune, kept fox hounds, hunters, etc., and his house was beautifully furnished with mahogany furniture. Like all of his family he was a strict observer of the United Presbyterian faith, and he was a very determined adherent of the principles of the Whig party. He had a brother, DR. RICHARD McCLURE, who was a prominent physician in Belfast, Ireland, where his death occurred, JUDGE McCLURE married MARGARET McCLURE, not a member of his branch of the McCLURE family, who was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, October 10, 1762, and they had children: 1. ANN, who died unmarried at an advanced age. 2. FRANCIS, of further mention. 3. ANDREW, was a farmer in Mifflin township.
SARAH was a daughter of JUDGE FRANCIS and MARGARET (McCLURE) McCLURE, who came from “east of the mountains” at an early date and settled first in Wheeling, West Virginia, later moving to Mifflin township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. JUDGE FRANCIS McCLURE sat upon the bench of Allegheny county for many years, a judge and popular jurist.