The son of “inn-holder” and Wurtemburg immigrants Jacob and Maria Weisbacken Binder of Kensington, William Binder was born on April 24, 1768, Philadelphia. In 1806, the Senator combined with Gen. Peter A. Muhlenberg, John Goodman, and others to “induce” the use of English vernacular in Zion and St. Michaels Evangelical Lutheran Churches. Blocked in their effort, Binder was instrumental in the organization of the English-speaking St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Philadelphia. William Binder was a hatter and furrier, and a man of considerable wealth; he married Mary Rice. The senator entered public life as a state Senator from Kensington, serving one term, 1809-1813; was elected Kensington school director, 1818; member of the township’s board of health, 1823; state House of Representatives, 1826-1828; for many years was a board member of the Beneficial Savings Institute, serving at times as president; and was elected president of the District of Northern Liberties Board of Commissioners, 1831-1835, and 1839-1840. The Hon. William Binder died on October 4, 1842, age 74. He was interred in St. John’s Burial Ground, behind the church he helped organize.