Dr. George Woodward, son of Judge Stanley Woodward, was born at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, June 22, 1863. He received his early education in private schools and at Wilkes-Barre Academy, where he was prepared for college. In 1883 he entered Yale University and was graduated in the class of 1887 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In the following year he received the degree of Ph.D., after a graduate course. He received his medical training at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1891, Dr. Woodward has practiced since graduation in the city of Philadelphia. From 1897 to 1900 he was a member of the Philadelphia board of health. He has been active in municipal affairs and served on the famous committee of seventy. He is also a member of the permanent relief committee of Philadelphia, trustee of the Germantown Hospital, trustee, secretary and treasurer of the Chestnut Hill Academy, member of the Academy of Political and Social Science, of the Octavia Hill Association, the University and Art Clubs, and the Pennsylvania Society, Sons of the Revolution. He is a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church. In politics he is a Republican. His office is in the North American Building; his residence on Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia. He married, October 9, 1894, Gertrude, daughter of Henry Howard and Sally S. (Bonnell) Houston, of Philadelphia. Children: Houston H., born at Philadelphia, February 27, 1896; George, born at Philadelphia, December 25, 1898; Stanley, born at Philadelphia, March 12, 1899; Charles Henry, born at Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, April 14, 1904; Gertrude, born at Philadelphia, April 25, 1909.
During the new deal, state Senator Woodward vehemently fought the federal government’s attempts to heap relief money on Philadelphia, to the extent that he replaced those offers with his own family inheritance.