Born Jan. 7, 1740, Klapperthall Junction, Berks Co.; died Dec. 19, 1806, Klapperthall Junction.
Jacob, John, Henry, Michael and William, and a daughter, Rosa (married to John Yeager). His remains were buried in the graveyard of the Reformed Church, and from thence removed to the Charles Evans Cemetery. Christian Lower was of German descent. In that language the name was spelled Lauer, but in writing it himself he spelled it Lower. The name of his father, Christian Lauer, appears in the list of families that migrated from Schoharie in New York to Tulpehocken in 1723, and his grandfather, Michael Lauer, followed in 1728. He was born in Tulpehocken township and brought up to the trade of a blacksmith. He took an active part in the Revolution and was prominent in the political affairs of the county for many years. In August, 1775, he was selected as one of the Colonels of the Associated Battalions and attended the Convention at Philadelphia. He officiated as a County Commissioner during the years 1777, 1778 and 1779, served as a Sub-Lieutenant in supplying the quota of troops from 1780 to the close of the war, and represented the county in the General Assembly for the years 1779, 1782 to 1785, 1793, 1794 and 1796. When Gen'l Washington, while President, was at Reading, on his way to Carlisle, in 1794, Col. Lotz was at the head of a party of prominent men who signalized the occasion by giving a military parade on Penn Square in honor of the distinguished visitor. The review was made from the second story of the "Federal Inn" (now the Farmer's Bank building). In personal appearance, he was a tall, finely-proportioned man, being over six feet in height and weighing about 300 pounds; and upon that occasion he attracted marked attention, not only by reason of his commanding presence, but also of his military, political and social prominence. Federal Inn, Penn Square, Reading. He died November 28, 1807. Before the Revolution, his father was the owner of the Moselem Forge. He was a man of social prominence and died possessed of a large estate in September, 1786, leaving to survive him two sons, Christian and John, and three daughters, Elizabeth (married to George Holston), Magdalena (married to Michael Ley), and Catharine (married to Benjamin Spyker). The remains of both father and son were interred in the burying ground of Tulpehocken Church.
Born in Tulpehocken Township, Berks County, Pa., January 7, 1740; attended school; worked as a blacksmith and was later proprietor of an iron foundry; colonel of associated battalions in 1775 and sublieutenant in 1780; county commissioner of Berks County 1777-1779; member of the State house of representatives 1783-1785, 1793, 1794, and 1796; served in the State senate 1796-1804; elected as a Republican to the Ninth Congress and served from March 4, 1805, until his death at his home in Tulpehocken Township, Pa., on December 19, 1806; interment in Tulpehocken Church Burial Ground. (Congressional Biographies)