Thomas Kennedy, the second store owner in colonial Carlisle, was born in old Lancaster (Cumberland County), 1745; the son of William and Mary Ann (Henderson) Kennedy. He married (1) Martha Brown, 1773; and (2) Margaret McFarlane, 1783, residing in South Middleton Township, Cumberland County. He served as a Captain, 2nd Co. (West Pennsborough Twp.), 2nd Battalion, Col. John Davis commanding, 1777. He died March 9, 1831, buried in Big Spring Cemetery.