JESSE C. HORTON, deceased, was born near Forty Fort, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, May 1, 1797, son of John and Mary (de la Montague) Horton. The latter was of Scotch and French descent; her mother, whose maiden name was Sarah Miller, was a Scotch Puritan, and her father was the son of a French physician. John Horton was of english descent. During the Revolution he served as a lieutenant in the New Jersey militia. After the conclusion of peace he sold his property in that State for Continental money and removed to the vicinity of Forty Fort in the Wyoming valley, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania. There he died in 1810, leaving a widow and nine children. Jesse C. was then in his thirteenth year. Four years later he served in the New Jersey militia under Colonel Seward and Captain Swazey in the war of 1812. In 1816 Miller, Lewis, and Jesse C. Horton inaugurated a new era in stage coach traveling in northern Pennsylvania by establishing a line of four-horse coaches from Baltimore to Owego, New York, by the way of Harrisburg, Sunbury, Wilkes Barre and Montrose, and also a line from Philadelphia to Wilkes Barre by the way of Easton, and from New York City to Montrose, Pennsylvania, by the way of Morristown and Newark, New Jersey, and Milford, Pennsylvania, with post-offices established at Plymouth, Kingston, Pottstown, and Tunkhannock. In 1820 he lived at Berwick, Columbia county, Pennsylvania, engaged in staging and carrying the United States mail; he removed from there to Owego, New York, in 1831 to Northumberland and soon after to a farm in Point township. In 1841 he represented Northumberland county in the legislature, and in 1842 he was elected to the Senate. He was a stockholder and director in the Bank of Northumberland. February 6, 1820, he married Harriet Ford, daughter of Dr. Samuel Headley, of Berwick, by whom he had two children: Annie Maria, Mrs. Allen M. Gougewer, of Washington, and Mrs. Harriet Westler, of Berwick. His wife died, June 17, 1823. He was again married, December 12, 1825, to Mrs. Martha Cooke, daughter of James Lemon, of Northumberland county. Five children were born to this union, two of whom are living: Mary C., and Amelia H., wife of Anthony Simpson of Michigan. The second wife died, July 25, 1880. Mr. Horton was a Democrat in politics. He was active in getting the public school system established and an active worker and supporter of any enterprise conducive to the welfare of the general public. He was well known throughout Pennsylvania and had an extensive and intimate acquaintance with the prominent men of the State.
Marshall Anspach, Historical Sketches of the Bench and Bar of Lycoming County, Pa., 1961.