Legislation Quick Search
04/17/2021 11:37 AM
Pennsylvania State Senate

John Hendricks

Photo credit:

Photo: USAMHI, RG98S-CEP8.18



Session Position District Party
1853 28 Whig
 Counties   Schuylkill


1817 - 1892

Born December 7, 1817, White Marsh, Montgomery County; employed in Philadelphia at 14 by Theopheas Eugene Guibert, and privately educated by Madame Guibert; entered Lincoln College Missouri where he graduated with honors, returned to Philadelphia and married Elizabeth (Ely) Josephine Erwin, 1839. Remaining in Philadelphia briefly, he moved to Tamaqua around 1840. He pursued merchandising, purchased, with William Chandler, the Sharp Mountain coal mine, 1843; was a founding member of the Hope of Christ Independent Presbyterian Church, 1846; read law under George McCabe, and became the first member of the county bar to locate in Tamaqua, developing a lucrative practice; elected to the state Senate, 1853-1855, and wrote the incorporation charter for the Tamaqua Gas Company. 
He returned to Tamaqua before he moved his law practice to Norristown, 1859, then to Philadelphia in 1861, as an Aide and Colonel on Governor Curtin’s staff.  In Philadelphia, Hendricks mustered in to Co. H, Sixth Pennsylvania Cavalry (70th PVI), “Rush’s Lancers,” Cpl., Oct. 9, 1861, three year service.  Saw reconnaissance, operations, and other cavalry action in the Peninsula Campaign; Seven Days Campaign (Richmond); promoted to 2nd Lt., Co. E, Nov. 20, 1862; Fredericksburg; promoted 1st Lt., Co. H, Mar. 1, 1863; Chancellorsville; Gettysburg; and the Bristoe Campaign.
At Gettysburg, Lt. Hendricks suffered a concussion and received a medical discharge, Feb. 5, 1864.  Within a month, the former cavalry lieutenant reenlisted as a Marine serving the remainder of the war in the United States Navy, mustering out in 1865. 
After the war, Hendricks served Governor Pollock at the Philadelphia Mint before returning to Tamaqua; resumed his law practice; and became a cornerstone of the community.  Poor health caused him to travel to Texas for recuperation; however, his wife became ill and he returned to Tamaqua where his wife died in 1885.  He again moved to Texas for his health, but having little luck, returned to his son’s home in Tamaqua, where he died on April 24, 1892.
Obit: Tamaqua Courier, April 30, 1892