Dr. Ezra Doty, a native of Sharon, Conn., was born July 7, 1767, and studied medicine with his father, Dr. Daniel Doty. About 1791 he journeyed westward on horseback, and while passing up the Juniata River, and stopping over night at Mifflintown, newly laid out, the people, learning he was a physician, called him to attend a sick person in the vicinity. He was invited to remain at the place and decided so to do. He boarded soon after at the tavern (then the Yellow House) for several years, and on November 14, 1811, married Rebecca, the widow of Daniel North, formerly a Miss Lewis. They soon after moved to a farm now owned by Mr. Sieber, and resided there for several years and there their eldest children were born. Upon his return to Mifflintown he lived in a log house on Water Street, in the rear of the Graybill building. In 1823 he built a brick house on the site of the present Doty residence, where he resided until his death. He was elected a member of the State Senate in 1812-13, and died in 1828. He had a large and extended practice and was highly esteemed. Two brothers, Roswell and Southard, also physicians, settled about 1802 in Lewistown.