Miles R Derk
Born December 18, 1890, the son of Henry M. and Elizabeth Beaver Derk of Kratzerville, Snyder County, Miles Derk attended public schools; finished pre-med at Susquehanna University, Selingsgrove; and received his V.M.D. degree (Veterinary Medicine) from University of Pennsylvania in 1913. Dr. Derk opened a practice at Jersey Shore in 1914; served as director of the West Branch Manufacturer’s Association; president of the Northern Tier Veterinary Medical Association; director of Lycoming Fair Association; Board of Directors of Jersey Shore State Bank; instrumental in merging the Community Hospital with the Sanford Private Sanatorium, forming the Jersey Shore Hospital in 1936, for which he served as president director for many years; served as Burgess of Jersey Shore for eight years, 1946-1954; the state Senate, 1955-1958; health officer for the Jersey Shore Board of Health for 15 years; and owner of an automobile dealership and the Derk Tractor and Equipment Company. He married Laura Nerhood of Kratzerville. Senator Derk died July 2, 1970.