Charles E Quail
Dr. Charles Edward Quail was born on Oct. 9, 1841, Baltimore, Md., the son of Alsace-German immigrant Conrad Quail and the former Mary Ports. He was educated in Baltimore common schools, Mount Irvin College, and the University of Maryland Medical School; left studies to enlist, Aug. 13, 1862, as Sgt., Co. D, 8th Maryland Volunteer Infantry (Union), Baltimore, the famed “Maryland Brigade.” Action at Antietam; Clarksburg (W.Va.); Bolivar Heights; the Gettysburg Campaign; Maryland Heights and Funkstown (Hagerstown); the Wilderness; Laurel Hill; and wounded at Spotsylvania Courthouse. At Laurel Hill, Quail assumed company command after all officers had been killed or wounded. Recuperating from his Spotsylvania wound, Sgt. Quail continued action at Cold Harbor; Petersburg; Weldon Rail Road; Poplar Springs Church; Hatcher’s Run; the Siege of Petersburg; and Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865. He mustered out with the regiment, May 31, 1865; returned to Maryland and received a medical degree; interned at the Baltimore Infirmary; relocated in Auburn, Pa., 1867, and opened practice. Quail served two terms as county coroner; federal pension examiner; member of the Schuylkill and Pennsylvania Medical Associations; state Senate, 1901-1908; member and treasurer of the Auburn school board; chair of the county Republican committee; and member of numerous civic, fraternal, and military veteran organizations. His wife was the former Emma Catherine Weishampel. Senator Quail passed away on December 21, 1910.