John Gloninger was the son of Philip and Anna Barbara Gloninger, born Sept. 19, 1758, Lebanon Township, then Lancaster County, Pa.; educated in the Reformed Church. He served as a subaltern officer in the county associators during the Revolution, eventually achieving the rank of lieutenant colonel, commanding a militia battalion. Upon the organization of the county of Dauphin he was appointed county lieutenant by the Supreme Executive Council, May 6, 1785; was a representative to the unicameral state Assembly, 1790; and resigned to accept a seat as state senator in the same year, which position he reigned to accept a justice of the peace appointment. He was replaced by Harrisburg’s John Andre Hanna. Gloninger was subsequently chosen associate judge by Governor Mifflin in 1791; maintained the same position as Lebanon County was organized in 1813; served in that capacity until shortly before his death in Lebanon, January 22, 1836, at age 77. The brother-in-law of future state senator Henry Orth, Judge Gloninger married Catharine Orth, daughter of Adam and Catharine (Kucher) Orth.