Charles Souders Vandegrift, Jr
C.F. Vandegrift was the son of Alfred and Catherine (Gibbs) Vandegrift, born in Bensalem Township, August 20, 1839. He attended public schools; Capt. Alden Partridge’s Military School in Bristol Twp.; and at 17 clerked for his uncle’s (C. S. Vandegrift, Sr.) general store, eventually becoming sole proprietor of the business for twenty-two years before selling the land to the Thomas family, establishing a lumber-business partnership at Edington in 1874. He moved the business to Torresdale within six years, establishing a mill which also went to the Thomas family in time. His core business concerned the sales of lumber, flour, feed, brick, cement, and coal. He retired from the business in 1890. Charles was township auditor from 1865 to 1874; a delegate to numerous county, state, and national Democratic conventions; was elected state senator, 1883-1886; president of the county’s Good Road Association; a director of the Farmer’s National Bank; president of the Farmers and Mechanics Mutual Insurance Company of Bucks and Philadelphia counties; president of the Doylestown Publishing Company; a trustee for the Vandegrift Burial Ground at Cornwells; a trustee and officer of his Presbyterian Church; and a member of numerous fraternal and civic groups. He married Mary Hanna Rowland of Chester County. Senator Vandegrift died on August 10, 1907.