William Audenried, eldest son of Lewis Audenried, emigrant from Switzerland in 1789, was born at Kutztown, Berks county, March 14th, 1793, and when a mere boy removed with his father's family to what is now known as East Schuylkill county. The spot where Pottsville now stands was then known as the "Pine Swamp," so that the subject of this notice may, with much propriety, be termed one of the pioneers in the great work which has in comparatively so short a period elevated Schuylkill county from a condition at once rude, uncultivated and humble to its present proud and high position. Endowed by nature with a strong mind and extraordinary energy of character he was, in 1816 (about the time of the death of his father) appointed by Governor Simon Snyder a justice of the peace in the district numbered one, composed of the township of Brunswick, including the borough of Orwigsburg, Schuylkill county, which commission he held until 1821, when he was commissioned by Governor Heisler as lieutenant-colonel of the 30th regiment infantry of the Pennsylvania militia, 2nd brigade, 6th division. In 1822 he was elected to the State Legislature from Schuylkill county, and re-elected in 1823. In 1824 he was elected to the Senate of the State of Pennsylvania for a term of four years. While a member of the lower house he introduced "a resolution for the calling of a convention to amend the constitution of the State," in order that the people might elect their own justices and other officers, which resolution passed the House by a very large majority, and many years afterward resulted in an amendment to the constitution, changing the custom of appointing to that of electing justices and certain other officers. While a member of the State Senate, in 1827, he offered a bill entitled "An Act to provide a fund in support of a general system of education in Pennsylvania." For this he received the encomium of the press throughout the State, and also the thanks of many private individuals; though his bill, subjected to a severe trail before the Legislature while he persistently pressed it against an opposing majority of the members, was not enacted until 1834. This earnest and able advocacy, while a member of the Legislature, of a system of general education by common schools, which should be accessible alike to the poor and the rich, won for him an enduring reputation as a liberal minded philanthropist and a sound Republican statesman. He was also the projector or advocate of many among the most important public improvements in Schuylkill county, while his warning voice was uniformly raised against the incorporation of coal and other companies for purposes within the range of individual enterprise. In 1832 he was a candidate for Congress, but was defeated by the strength of party discipline. He was extensively engaged from 1817 to 1842, in the business of buying and selling real estate, and in farming and lumbering, having mills on both the Schuylkill and Little Schuylkill rivers, furnishing employment to many people, but, as a result of the panic of 1837, he succumbed to the times in 1842. In that year he removed to Hampden Township, Cumberland county, Pa., where he continued to reside on a farm till the time of his death, December 2, 1850.