George K Anderson
Hon. George K.. Anderson was the son of Enoch Lucius and Rebecca Mortland Anderson, born at East Waterford, Juniata Co., September 14, 1834. George remained with his parents in East Waterford until July, 1850, learning the tanning trade, when he entered the Tuscarora Academy, the Shade Gap Academy and other schools. In 1854-55, he was employed as a clerk in a store at Hollidaysburg, at which time he entered Duff's Commercial College of Pittsburgh, graduating in commercial banking and railroad book-keeping. He accepted a position as book-keeper and private secretary to Kirk & Rhodes,' car builders at Rochester, where he worked until 1858, when he embarked in the wholesale and retail grocery business at Greenville, under the firm name of Power & Anderson. He also entered the dry goods business as Anderson & Packard, through 1862, accepting a position as assistant to Gen. W. W. Irwin, Commissary General of Pennsylvania to 1864. Pursuing the oil business at Petroleum Centre, he purchased property at Titusville, making that his permanent home. He served as a delegate to the Republican National Convention at Philadelphia, 1873, and was elected to the state Senate, serving three years. While his oil business proved unsuccessful, he was one of the original stockholders of the Northern Pacific Railroad and the Texas Pacific Railroad. He was married July 5, 1859, to Miss Emma J. Hawkins, who died August 21, 1864, and second, February 18, 1880, to Miss Mary Pauline Hazzard of Titusville. The Senator was appointed register of a land office in New Mexico by President Harrison in 1891. He died within a few months after the appointment, August 4, 1891, at Trinidad, Colorado.