Test Drive Our New Site! We have some improvements in the works that we're excited for you to experience. Click here to try our new, faster, mobile friendly beta site. We will be maintaining our current version of the site thru the end of 2024, so you can switch back as our improvements continue.
Legislation Quick Search
06/23/2024 08:23 PM
Pennsylvania State Senate
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=S&SPick=20210&cosponId=36608
Share:
Home / Senate Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

Senate Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

Subscribe to PaLegis Notifications
NEW!

Subscribe to receive notifications of new Co-Sponsorship Memos circulated

By Member | By Date | Keyword Search


Senate of Pennsylvania
Session of 2021 - 2022 Regular Session

MEMORANDUM

Posted: December 9, 2021 10:49 AM
From: Senator Art Haywood
To: All Senate members
Subject: Municipal Rescue Plan
 
In the near future, I will introduce legislation to create a mid-sized municipality rescue plan for communities just missing out on American Rescue Plan funding.
 
The federal American Rescue Plan used the Community Development Block Grant program to push money out to municipalities quickly. This gave 70% of the funding available directly to municipalities over 50,000 people ("entitlement communities"), using the state as a conduit for distributing the remaining 30% to everywhere else with less ("nonentitlement communities"). This put many nonentitlement communities at a disadvantage, despite having the same key issues as municipalities only slightly larger.
 
This bill will distribute $500 million of unspent American Rescue Plan funds to mid-sized municipalities between 19,000 and 49,999 people to recover from pandemic-related losses. The funding will allow 75 mid-sized municipalities from all regions of the Commonwealth to maintain essential services as well as provide infrastructure and budget relief. This would include common expenditures such as:
 
  • Water, stormwater and waste management.
  • Law enforcement, fire and other public safety services.
  • Public health services.
  • Hazard pay to essential workers.
  • Expanding broadband access.
  • Replacement of lead service lines.
  • Cybersecurity modernization
  • Revenue replacement
  • Administrative costs to assist with implementation of projects.
 
This is merely one step to begin leveling the playing field for smaller municipalities, which require much more to recover fully.
 
Please join me in co-sponsoring this critical legislation for local governments.