Test Drive Our New Site! We have some improvements in the works that we're excited for you to experience. Click here to try our new, faster, mobile friendly beta site. We will be maintaining our current version of the site thru the end of 2024, so you can switch back as our improvements continue.
Legislation Quick Search
06/15/2024 06:37 AM
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20230&cosponId=40404
Share:
Home / House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

Subscribe to PaLegis Notifications
NEW!

Subscribe to receive notifications of new Co-Sponsorship Memos circulated

By Member | By Date | Keyword Search


House of Representatives
Session of 2023 - 2024 Regular Session

MEMORANDUM

Posted: April 4, 2023 09:57 AM
From: Representative Steven R. Malagari
To: All House members
Subject: AP Exam Cost Reduction
 
Our Commonwealth is trailing behind 31 States across the nation that already help students with the cost of Advanced Placement (AP) exams. AP courses and exams help students develop the critical thinking skills they need to enter the workforce as entrepreneurs, small business owners, and professionals in Pennsylvania cities, suburbs, and rural communities.

Unfortunately, students in lower socioeconomic classes are often unable to get credit for their participation in AP courses because of the cost of AP exams, which can add up to several hundreds of dollars depending on a student’s course load. These rigorous courses not only prepare students for college and the workforce, they can increase scholarship money students receive from colleges. 

By funding the cost of the AP exams, Pennsylvania takes a step closer to achieving equity in education.

This bill will cover an 80% exam fee reduction to all AP and International Baccalaureate (IB) students. School districts will be responsible to cover the remaining 20% for students with financial need, and may also choose to do so for all students. School districts may use federal funds to cover its portion of the exam fee.

By funding AP exams, we will allow students to pursue more rigorous coursework that will develop and harness their scholastic talents, in addition to providing an alternative Keystone exam pathway and incentivizing impactful courses. Making AP exams more affordable for students will develop a college-ready, apprenticeship-ready, and work-force ready body of students who can compete at the state and global level.

Please join me in guaranteeing that all students will have the opportunity to get the best education that can be provided.



Introduced as HB1875