|Posted:||February 1, 2023 02:30 PM|
|From:||Representative Robert E. Merski|
|To:||All House members|
|Subject:||Transparency in Government Authorities|
|When conducting governmental business, transparency is vital. It is the obligation of government entities to share information with citizens. This allows for better decision making and accountability. But too often, governmental authorities slip under the radar because they do not publicize the makeup of their boards. This lack of transparency is a disservice to the people who are subject to the decisions made by an authority.
For this reason and for the sake of honesty, accountability, and openness, I am introducing legislation that would increase the transparency of public authorities. My legislation would ensure that all political subdivision authorities and all municipal authorities maintain a publicly accessible website that includes the following information:
• The name of each board member on the authority;
• The length and expiration date of the term to which the board member was appointed;
• An email address, which may be used to contact each board member listed on the publicly accessible Internet website of the authority or board;
• The name and the office of the individual who appointed the board member or the name of the municipality that appointed each board member; and
• The publicly accessible internet website of the municipality or government entity that created the authority, or in cases of authorities, the publicly accessible internet website of each municipality that created the authority.
I encourage you to co-sponsor this important legislation. Help promote openness and transparency within our government.
Introduced as HB247