|In the near future, I plan to introduce legislation requiring the Pennsylvania Turnpike to conduct a pilot program to offer deep discounts in order to encourage more EZ Pass Customers to use the turnpike during off-peak hours. It is my belief that by encouraging off-peak discounts the toll road can keep traffic volumes from declining and can actually take in more revenue.
I intend to work with PTC officials on the exact details to limit any loss of revenue. My legislation would amend Transportation Code, adding the following provisions, subject to fiscal projections:
Please join me in sponsoring this legislation.
- The commission shall establish a policy of off-peak pricing or fare differential for a one-year pilot.
- The commission shall offer a minimum fare discount of 25 percent for all classes of vehicles exiting the turnpike using EZ Pass between the hours of 8:00 pm – 5:30 am Sundays through Friday mornings in urban districts, or in counties of the 2nd or third class.
- A mid-day discount between the hours of 10:00 am and 3:00 pm shall also be instituted in 2nd class counties Mondays through Friday.
- A similar discount may be instituted on weekends to encourage additional vehicles or vehicle classes to use the turnpike.
- The Commission shall provide quarterly reports to the Majority and Minority chairmen of the Senate and House Transportation Committees beginning 60 days after enactment.
- The Pilot Program shall begin no later than 120 days after enactment.