Test Drive Our New Site! We have some improvements in the works that we're excited for you to experience. Click here to try our new, faster, mobile friendly beta site. We will be maintaining our current version of the site thru the end of 2024, so you can switch back as our improvements continue.
Legislation Quick Search
06/22/2024 10:16 PM
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Home / House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

Subscribe to PaLegis Notifications

Subscribe to receive notifications of new Co-Sponsorship Memos circulated

By Member | By Date | Keyword Search

House of Representatives
Session of 2019 - 2020 Regular Session


Posted: December 26, 2018 03:49 PM
From: Representative Aaron D. Kaufer
To: All House members
Subject: 'Last-Man In' Fix to Spur New Economic Development

In the near future I intend to re-introduce legislation that will address an unfair practice that is being forced upon developers across the Commonwealth and will lead to a major economic boom in the Commonwealth. The issue is known as ‘Fair-Share’ or ‘Last-Man In’, and typically arises when a new development, or a new commercial facility, is the last to be built along a state road. While PennDOT may have neglected to upgrade the road, intersections or berms for years, the developers end up being left on the hook, sometimes for tens of millions of dollars, to upgrade the neglected state-owned infrastructure around them.

While the developer should be held responsible for making necessary improvements to impacted infrastructure, they should not be left footing the entire bill for a state-owned roadway. Therefore, I am calling for a ‘Proportional Fair-Share’ that will make the builder, or puller of the building permit, responsible for 20% of the infrastructure improvement, while the remaining 80% will be taken care of by PennDOT.

This financial obligation is imposing massive, unnecessary barriers and financial hardships to companies who could be greatly benefiting economic development throughout the Commonwealth.

Introduced as HB2014