Legislation Quick Search
11/29/2021 08:22 PM
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20170&cosponId=25274
Share:
Home / House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda

Subscribe to PaLegis Notifications
NEW!

Subscribe to receive notifications of new Co-Sponsorship Memos circulated

By Member | By Date | Keyword Search


House of Representatives
Session of 2017 - 2018 Regular Session

MEMORANDUM

Posted: February 23, 2018 03:55 PM
From: Representative Jim Christiana
To: All House members
Subject: 50/50 Club Split
 
In the near future, I will be introducing legislation to allow club licensees to retain more revenue from their small games of chance. Specifically, my legislation will amend the Local Option Small Games of Chance Act to allow clubs to retain 50 percent of their small games proceeds.

Under current law, clubs that hold small games of chance licenses may offer a certain number of paper-based gambling games (raffles, pull-tabs, punchboards, etc.) in order to raise money for charitable purposes. However, clubs are required to provide 60 percent of their proceeds for charitable purposes and the other 40 percent may be used for club purposes (utility payments, property maintenance, etc.).

While I understand that the purpose of the 60/40 split is to ensure that clubs utilize the majority of small games revenue for charitable purposes, I believe changing to a 50/50 split is necessary to ensure that small clubs remain viable. A club cannot continue to raise money for charity if it can no longer afford to remain open, and allowing clubs to retain an additional 10% in small games proceeds will allow more of our small clubs to “keep the lights on” and benefit our local communities.

Please consider cosponsoring this legislation. If you have any questions regarding this legislation, please do not hesitate to contact me.



Introduced as HB2129