HEALTH AND SAFETY (35 PA.C.S.) - REQUIRING OPERATOR OF EACH PERMITTED UNCONVENTIONAL WELL IN PENNSYLVANIA TO POST CERTAIN 911 RESPONSE INFORMATION AT ENTRANCE TO EACH UNCONVENTIONAL WELL SITE
|Act of Feb. 2, 2012, P.L. 67, No. 9||Cl. 35|
Session of 2012
Amending Title 35 (Health and Safety) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, in Commonwealth services, requiring that the operator of each permitted unconventional wells within Pennsylvania post certain 911 response information at the entrance to each unconventional well site.
The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania hereby enacts as follows:
Section 1. Title 35 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes is amended by adding a section to read:
§ 7321. Unconventional well 911 emergency response information.
(a) Emergency regulations.--The agency and the Department of Environmental Protection shall adopt emergency regulations directing the operators of all unconventional wells within this Commonwealth to do all of the following:
(1) Adopt a unique GPS coordinate address for each unconventional well at both the access road entrance and well pad site.
(2) Register that address with the agency, the Department of Environmental Protection and the county emergency management organization within the county where the unconventional well is located.
(3) Require the development of an emergency response plan and file that plan with the agency, the Department of Environmental Protection and the county emergency management organization with jurisdiction over the unconventional well. The county shall disseminate the GPS address and emergency response plan to the local emergency management organization in which the unconventional well is located.
(4) Post a reflective sign at the entrance to each unconventional well site with the specific address of that site, the coordinates for the site, the emergency contact number for the operator and such other information as the agency or the Department of Environmental Protection deems necessary.
(b) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
"Unconventional formation." A geological shale formation existing below the base of the Elk Sandstone or its geologic equivalent stratigraphic interval where natural gas generally cannot be produced at economic flow rates or in economic volumes except by vertical or horizontal well bores stimulated by:
(1) hydraulic fracture treatments;
(2) using multilateral well bores; or
(3) other techniques to expose more of the formation of the well bore.
"Unconventional well." A bore hole drilled or being drilled for the purpose of or to be used for the production of natural gas from an unconventional formation.
Section 2. Regulations promulgated under 35 Pa.C.S. § 7321 shall apply to both new and existing unconventional wells within this Commonwealth.
Section 3. This act shall take effect immediately.
APPROVED--The 2nd day of February, A.D. 2012.