SPECIAL STOPS REQUIRED
3341. Obedience to signal indicating approach of train.
3342. Vehicles required to stop at railroad crossings.
3343. Moving heavy equipment at railroad grade crossings.
3344. Emerging from alley, driveway or building.
3345. Meeting or overtaking school bus.
3345.1. Enforcement of failure to stop for school bus with flashing red lights.
3346. Emergency vehicles entering or leaving official garage.
§ 3341. Obedience to signal indicating approach of train.
(a) General rule.--Whenever any person driving a vehicle approaches a railroad grade crossing under any of the circumstances stated in this section, the driver of the vehicle shall stop within 50 feet but not less than 15 feet from the nearest rail of the railroad and shall not proceed until it can be done safely. The foregoing requirements shall apply upon the occurrence of any of the following circumstances:
(1) A clearly visible electric or mechanical signal device gives warning of the immediate approach of a railroad train.
(2) A crossing gate is lowered or a flagman gives or continues to give a signal of the approach or passage of a railroad train.
(3) A railroad train approaching within approximately 1,500 feet of the highway crossing emits a signal audible from that distance and the railroad train, by reason of its speed or nearness to the crossing, is a hazard.
(4) An approaching railroad train is plainly visible and is in hazardous proximity to the crossing.
(b) Compliance with crossing gate or barrier.--
(1) No person shall drive any vehicle through, around or under any crossing gate or barrier at a railroad crossing while the gate or barrier is closed.
(2) No person shall start to drive a vehicle through, around or under a gate or barrier at the entrance to a railroad crossing while the gate or barrier is being opened or closed.
(c) Penalties.--A violation of subsection (a) constitutes a summary offense punishable by a fine of from $50 to $200. A violation of subsection (b) constitutes a summary offense punishable by a fine of from $200 to $500.
(Dec. 21, 1998, P.L.1126, No.151, eff. 60 days)
1998 Amendment. Act 151 added subsec. (c).
Cross References. Section 3341 is referred to in sections 1535, 1611, 3114 of this title.