§ 4304. Endangering welfare of children.
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) A parent, guardian or other person supervising the welfare of a child under 18 years of age, or a person that employs or supervises such a person, commits an offense if he knowingly endangers the welfare of the child by violating a duty of care, protection or support.
(2) A person commits an offense if the person, in an official capacity, prevents or interferes with the making of a report of suspected child abuse under 23 Pa.C.S. Ch. 63 (relating to child protective services).
(3) As used in this subsection, the term "person supervising the welfare of a child" means a person other than a parent or guardian that provides care, education, training or control of a child.
(1) Except as provided under paragraph (2), the following apply:
(i) An offense under this section constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(ii) If the actor engaged in a course of conduct of endangering the welfare of a child, the offense constitutes a felony of the third degree.
(iii) If, in the commission of the offense under subsection (a)(1), the actor created a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury, the offense constitutes a felony of the third degree.
(iv) If the actor's conduct under subsection (a)(1) created a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury and was part of a course of conduct, the offense constitutes a felony of the second degree.
(2) The grading of an offense under this section shall be increased one grade if, at the time of the commission of the offense, the child was under six years of age.
(c) Counseling.--A court shall consider ordering an individual convicted of an offense under this section to undergo counseling.
(Dec. 19, 1988, P.L.1275, No.158, eff. 60 days; July 6, 1995, P.L.251, No.31, eff. 60 days; Nov. 29, 2006, P.L.1581, No.179, eff. 60 days; June 29, 2017, P.L.246, No.12, eff. 60 days)
2017 Amendment. Act 12 amended subsec. (b) and added subsec. (c).
2006 Amendment. Act 179 amended subsec. (a).
Cross References. Section 4304 is referred to in section 3104 of this title; section 3304 of Title 5 (Athletics and Sports); section 2106 of Title 20 (Decedents, Estates and Fiduciaries); sections 5329, 6340, 6344 of Title 23 (Domestic Relations); sections 5552, 5985.1, 5993, 62A03, 9718.1 of Title 42 (Judiciary and Judicial Procedure); section 3113 of Title 63 (Professions and Occupations (State Licensed)).